Friday, July 4, 2014

Week 5


Mwabuka!

What a week! Looking back on the week, it feels like I haven’t done much, but it was so busy! We started off the week with a trip to Choma on Monday morning because I needed to get my visa extended in order to stay in Zambia. What we were hoping would be a simple process became complicated when we realized at the immigration office that they had stamped me in on a business visa. Long story short, we had to go to the regional immigration office to get it all sorted out. It took a lot of time, another stop back at the office Wednesday, and was really frustrating at points, but in the end it all worked out and I officially have a new little green book that is my temporary work permit and allows me to stay in the country for 90 days. I was also feeling pretty sick Tuesday and I know my mom shared all of these struggles with some of the people from my church – it was so encouraging the past week to receive emails from some of you… so thank you!!! I felt really blessed this week to have so much support from back home.

Tuesday was also spent in preparation for our team that is here from a church in New Hanover! On Wednesday, Corie, Eric, Elem and I went to Livingstone to do some grocery shopping for the team and pick them up from the airport! The group is 10 people – 2 leaders and 8 high school kids from the youth group! They are going to be involved out at MICS while they are here, teaching classes, leading activities, and doing some VBS things for the kids. We spent Thursday out at the school getting the team involved and they are currently teaching and loving on the kids as I write this. I have been spending a lot of time out at MICS teaching P.E. classes with one of the guys from the group, but I haven't been out to Macha Girls school this week because of the trips to Choma and Livingstone! I will be heading there in about an hour and I can't wait to see the girls!

 It has been awesome to have the team here and watch them serve, love and learn more about the culture and people here in Macha. I’ve had some really cool conversations with some of them and I love seeing high school students that have a heart to really just learn more about their neighbors here in Zambia, spend time with them, and learn more about Jesus with them. It so encouraging to me, especially as I remember my time in high school.
the New Hanover group leading songs at MICS

This weekend, while the group is here, we plan to visit a village and eat lunch – some of the guys want to kill our chicken dinner – and go to church on Sunday! Next week, Monday and Tuesday are both holiday’s from school (Heroes Day and Unity Day) – Dad, Farmer’s Day is coming up August 4th, so I’ll be sure to celebrate you from here :) - on those days we will organize some activities for the local kids back at the PTRZ campus. Wednesday and Thursday morning the team will be back in the school, and then Thursday afternoon we will leave for Livingstone. While there, we will go on safari with the team, as well as see Victoria Falls – and I am super pumped about both of these things! It will be an incredible opportunity to spend more time seeing God’s beautiful creation here in this country!

It will be a crazy week, but a really fulfilling and fun one as well :) I continue to learn about life here in Macha, but I am also really enjoying being able to share it with people from back home. It is awesome to see these kids come here and see God working in this place. I’m excited for them to experience “Africa” in a new, really personal way. As we talked about during their devotional time last night, I’m excited for them to break some of the stereotypes people in the U.S. tend to hold about Africa and the state it is in. It’s already exciting to see them thinking through different things – in their faith and in the way we live life.

 
sunset with the New Hanover group


Today is the 4th of July, which obviously doesn’t really mean anything to the people here, but it is fun to have a group from the U.S. here on this holiday! We are celebrating with pizza tonight, as well as World Cup games and game night! For those of you celebrating back home, enjoy your time off, be safe!!

Have a great holiday weekend! Can’t wait to share pictures from the safari and falls with you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment