Saturday, July 19, 2014

Week 7


First of all… I only have 22 more days in Zambia. I have been here in Macha for 7 weeks, and I only have 3 more to go. It is absolutely crazy to me how fast my time here has gone!! But I can tell you right now it has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It has been incredibly life changing.

Next… I can officially say the baboon incident at Victoria Falls is funny. My knees are healing up nicely and the fact that a baboon took my wallet is kind of a cool story.

It has been super quiet this week compared to the last two when the team was here, but the Push the Rock team flies in tomorrow and they are here for two weeks, so it will get crazy again soon! We have spent a lot of time this week doing follow up from the New Hanover trip and preparing for the Push the Rock team. We have been working on their schedule, their finances, and I have continued preparing to lead some team times (devotions). I’m really excited for this trip, as Eric, Corie, Elem and I will have more of a leadership role in not only what happens on the trip, but in the spiritual aspect of the trip. We will be doing soccer clinics out at MICS, playing friendly matches, training with the local boys, spending some time up with my Macha girls team, and much more. I’m really excited to get to know a new group, play a lot of soccer, and have the opportunity to get involved here in Macha for a few more weeks.

I got back to more of my normal schedule this week… going out to Macha girls Monday, Wednesday, Friday and to MICS on Tuesday and Thursday. Muntanga is heading back to school on Monday, so his last day with the girls was this past Monday! There have been less girls coming to play each night because their term is ending the first week of August so they have extra study sessions and exams coming next week. But, a few of the girls have shown up every day I am there, so it is fun to get to do some more one on one/skill work with them. Some of the girls are really dedicated and love the sport, which is so cool for me to see them that committed to something. There is one girl, Namakala, who I’ve gotten to know a lot more this past week as she has shown up every day and walked me to the gate of the school every day after practice. She has shared with me her passion for basketball, as well as some of her dreams – one of which is to come to the United States one day – even though people tell her it will never happen. It has been awesome to get to know some of these girls on a deeper level than just basketball. I’m excited to work with them for the next few weeks, but I’ll miss them a lot when I go home!

macha girls
As for MICS this week – Tuesday we played kickball, and I realized that Thursday would be my last day teaching, so we played basketball! MICS is done a week earlier than other schools, so their last day is Friday the 25th. The Push the Rock team will be out there all next week running a soccer clinic, which will serve as their P.E. class for the week!

with the grade 4 class at MICS
I also stayed out at MICS afterschool on Tuesday to hang out with the kids that are boarders and have dinner with them. They baked some cupcakes for the July and August birthdays, played volleyball and we ate dinner. After dinner, I joined them for their devotion time and then went to the girls’ dorm to hear their bedtime story and say goodnight to them! It was a lot of fun to see their routine after school was over and spend some extra time getting to know them.

We had another Tonga lesson with Elaine, Eric’s mom, on Wednesday – We’re pretty much fluent now… And we have gotten to have dinner/lunch with other families this week! Mom and Dad – you might not believe it, but I really like pork and sauerkraut! We had it for dinner at Eric’s parents on Wednesday and it’s the first time I’ve tried it in a really long time (or ever). So… sorry Dad, but there will be a little less for you next time we have it at home. :) Speaking of eating new things… I forgot to mention this in my last post… when we were out to eat with the New Hanover team in Livingstone last week, we tried crocodile and some cooked caterpillar/worm thing – that still looked like a caterpillar. It was actually pretty good.

Life here in Macha is good. I will spend two weeks in Macha with the team, before taking them back to Livingstone for a few days, and then will only have about 4 more days in Macha to wrap up from the trip and say goodbyes before heading back to Livingstone for a few days of relaxation with a few of the girls I have gotten to know here. I know how fast the next three weeks are going to go, and I’m already sad to know my time in Macha is slowly coming to an end. I like it here. A lot. I can’t wait to share this experience with everyone back home – although it’s sometimes really hard to put into words, even in my own head. But I’ll do the best I can. 

P.S... The rec center that is being built is coming along nicely... the walls around the hexagon part are up and they are beginning the pillars that will hold the roof up... Here's a pic:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment