Sunday, August 3, 2014

One week.


We are back in Macha after a weekend in Livingstone with the PTR team! It was a great weekend spending a little bit more time with the team before dropping them off at the airport yesterday!

PTR team at dinner Friday night
We left earlier on Thursday morning and headed to Victoria Falls after unloading all our things where we were staying. I was a little nervous heading back to the falls… but I’m happy to say there were no baboon incidents this time! I will say this though… I’m actually afraid of baboons. But the falls were absolutely incredible… this time I walked with the team across the bridge in front of the falls – getting completely soaked – but what an awesome view!! We also walked down to the boiling pot again – the area at the bottom of the falls, right under the bridge where people bungee jump!




On Friday, we headed out pretty early for a drive through the small game park right in Livingstone. It didn’t really compare to Chobe in Botswana (the overnight safari I did with the last group), but it was so much fun! We drove around in 2 vehicles and we saw about all you can see in the park – hippos, water buck, impala, zebra (which I was super pumped about because we didn’t see them in Chobe!), giraffe, warthogs, and so much more! But I think the highlight of the morning was finding elephants! We followed an elephant down the road for a long time – it only turned around and flapped its ears at us a few times – but we got so close! Corie, one of the team members, and I were riding with Eric, while the rest of the team was with one of the drivers from Macha… let’s just say the other driver was a little nervous and didn’t get too close. Our car was right up with the elephant – which was kind of scary at a few points, but was so cool! We got to watch the elephant get down into the Zambezi River and swim the whole way across… again, so cool.

We spent the rest of Friday shopping and relaxing before dinner and a game night! We dropped the team off at the airport – said some tearful goodbyes – and headed back to Macha. I was selfishly excited that the team was flying out Saturday instead of Sunday, as today was my last opportunity to go to church here in Macha! Side note: it was a great church service to end on today – so many choirs today!! It’s crazy to think about, but I leave Macha on Thursday – in 4 short days! There are a lot of things to wrap of from the trip and my internship, lots of people to say goodbye to, lots of Macha to soak in, and lots of preparation to do in my own heart and mind before heading back to the States.

I’m nervous to come home – to a different culture than what I have lived for the past few months, to people that might not understand the impact this summer has had on me, to job searching and figuring out the rest of my life, to the “busy-ness” of life in the States. But I’m also excited to see my family, spend some time at the beach with my momma, see my friends, get into my maid of honor duties (I can’t wait Rosie!!!!!!!), and share this experience with people. It’s such a bittersweet thing. I’m trusting that God will help to prepare my heart and mind as I leave Macha, say my goodbyes, and fly home a week from today.

Also – Today is the big Martz family reunion at the farm – this is the first time I’ve ever missed it, so to everyone at my house today – I wish I was there to see all of you!!!! Have so much fun :) Love you all lots!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment